Close up on a Hudson side name plate. The Hudson Motor Car Company was started by eight Detroit businessmen in 1909 and named after Joseph L. Hudson a Detroit entrepreneur who provided the capital. They produced affordable cars between 1909 and 1954. Hudson had some automotive firsts including: dual brakes, dashboard oil pressure and generator warning lights, a balanced crankshaft which allowed for a straight six engine, and America's first female car designer, Betty Thatcher Oros. In 1954, Hudson merged with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation to become American Motors.
© Sheila Creighton 2010